Resources and Quick Links

Exceptions and Unusual Circumstances

Information to come.

Non-Travel Reimbursements

Procurement Services has the responsibility for handling all procurement transactions. ISU employees have no authority to commit ISU funds, and should submit a requisition to Procurement Services or use an ISU Purchasing Card rather than request reimbursement for items purchased with personal funds. Using a requisition or Purchasing Card exempts ISU from sales tax and saves 7% on local purchases.

Allowable Non-Travel Reimbursements

Categories not listed below probably are prohibited by the Restrictions on Non-Travel Reimbursements (see above) or require a Requisition through Procurement. 

Expense TypePreferred Payment MethodReason
Reimbursements to Non-Workers (including students who are not employed)Workday Non-Worker Expense Report 

T&H Card or P-Card

Reimbursement through Expense Report

Payment for registrations is preferred on a T&H Card, unless declined for merchant code control. If T&H Card is declined, or you do not have a T&H Card, a P-Card may be used. Alternatively, the registration can be paid personally and reimbursed on an Expense Report.
Interview Expenses

T&H Card

Reimbursement through Expense Report

The T&H Card should be used for interview expenses whenever possible. Itemized receipts are required for interview meals regardless of payment method. Alcohol cannot be reimbursed, except when using unrestricted agency funds, or when hosting non-ISU employees and using unrestricted ISU foundation funds. For group meals, the names of the attendees and the business purpose of the meeting must be included.
Tuition Reimbursement for ISU ClassesStudent Award FormTuition reimbursement may affect other financial aid. The Financial Aid Office must review these transactions, even if no other financial aid has been awarded. The Accounts Receivable Office will refund any credit balances resulting from tuition reimbursements.
Tuition Reimbursement for classes outside of ISUReimbursement through expense reportNon-ISU classes are not approved for reimbursement through ISU’s Tuition Reimbursement Program and can only be reimbursed with department approval as part of professional development.

Updated July 22, 2024

Resources and Quick Links


For eligible employees as defined in the Communication and Technology Allowance (CTA) Policy, the university may provide allowances for the following technology services:

  • Cellular devices voice/text messaging service
  • Cellular devices ISP (internet service provider) data service associated with devices such as smart phones and PDAs
  • Cellular wireless modems associated with devices such as laptop computers
  • Other technological devices or technological services approved in advance by the Financial and Accounting Compliance Office.

Allowances are provided to help cover the monthly cost for business use of an eligible employee's personal cellular voice or cellular data service.


  • Persons requesting a CTA must complete The Communication and Technology Allowance Request Form at least thirty days prior to the start date for the CTA.
  • Requestors must also provide three months of invoices, statements, or bills showing the total cost of the charges as well as an estimated percentage of how much of the expense is related to Iowa State University business.
  • The form, invoices, and expense estimate must then be sent to the Financial and Accounting Compliance Office at for allowability review.
  • Once the Financial and Accounting Compliance Office approves and signs the form, it will be sent back to the requestor.
  • It is the responsibility of the requestor to submit the request to for processing and payment.
  • The Financial and Accounting Compliance Office will review all CTA plans annually with the cost center manager.

Communication and Technology in Travel Status

  • Some employees may be eligible when traveling to be reimbursed for Communication and Technology items. These are handled as part of the employee reimbursement process and are not considered true CTAs.

Reimbursement for infrequent employee reimbursements of cellular voice calls, text messages and ISP data services.

  • These are not covered by the CTA policy however they may be reimbursable in some instances. As these will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for allowability, contact prior to submitting.
Home internet reimbursement

The university will not reimburse employees for incidental use of home internet/data access as it is assumed employees already have internet access and are incurring no additional costs due to university business use.

There may be special circumstances where an employee’s primary workspace is not located in university owned or rented space and where such costs may be considered allowable. Such workplace arrangements must be documented and approved by the employing unit prior to costs being incurred or paid.

Question regarding the Communication Technology Allowance Policy or Reimbursement Procedures may be directed to the Financial and Accounting Compliance Office:

Required Signatures

  • Recipients must sign a receipt form to acknowledge receiving cash, gift certificates, and other distributed property.
  • Gift certificates are considered a cash equivalent, and must be handled and accounted for in the same method required for petty cash.

Retaining and Submitting Documentation

Property Purchased with Intramurals or Purchasing Cards

  • Cash, gift certificates, and other property cannot be purchased via internal billing (intramural).
  • Gift certificates and other property purchased with purchasing cards must have the receipt form attached to the P-Card transaction in Workday.
  • For purchases of $100 or more, IRS reporting requires departments to keep the original form as part of the Workday transaction documentation and forward a copy to the Tax Office (, or Attn: RPRF (Confidential) 1350 Beardshear).
    • Include the Worktag, P-card transaction number, and date to attach each form to the original Workday transaction.

Property Purchased by Petty Cash Advances

  • Cash, gift certificates, and other property purchased with petty cash must have a receipt form attached to the electronic document used to clear the advance.
  • For purchases of $100 or more, IRS reporting requires departments to keep the original form as part of the Workday transaction documentation and forward a copy to the Tax Office (, or Attn: RPRF (Confidential) 1350 Beardshear).

Research Participation Receipt and Property Receipt Form (RPRF/PRF)

  • RPRFs are considered confidential and are handled by employees in the Division of Operations and Finance who have signed confidentiality statements. For confidential research participants, a confidential ID# and redacted RPRF is to be attached for documentation requirements in Workday.  The original RPRF, for confidentiality purposes, prohibits the upload of RPRF forms or similar records into Workday. The confidential ID must refer back to the original RPRF document the department keeps on file in a locked cabinet.  The department is responsible for retaining all original RPRF documents for the appropriate document retention period of time.  The University recommends that departments with staff involved in the processing payments to human subjects and/or the retention of documentation, require their staff to sign similar confidentiality statements. Researchers and ISU employees and students must be aware of and follow University policy on Social Security Number Protection.

Resources and Quick Links

Updated July 22, 2024

Resources and Quick Links

Fee-for-Service (FFS) operations are established for the purpose of producing and selling goods and/or services to University departments and/or external customers. Sales must comply with the University's mission, federal uniform guidance and the fair competition policies. Our staff are available to provide guidance on establishing FFS programs and developing appropriate billing rates that comply with University policies and procedures, and federal cost accounting standards.

Customer Categories

Customers are categorized as either internal or external for rate development purposes.

Internal Customers

  • Sales of goods or services to ALL programs within the University system.
  • Internal customers must be charged the internal rate and billed through an integration accounting journal in Workday.
  • The FFS program needs an Internal Service Provider (ISP) created.
  • A journal in Workday will be requested through your FSD Finance Specialist.

External Customers

  • Sales of good or services to non-University customers.
  • Students and employees of the University are considered to be external customers when purchasing goods and services for personal use and/or educational purposes.
  • External customers must be charged the external rate and billed through Accounts Receivable.

Student Fee Programs

  • Course fees, study abroad fees, mandatory fees, etc., are not FFS programs and are not subject to these policies.
  • More information on course fees is available in the Policy Library.

Updated July 28, 2023

Moving Expense Instructions (PDF), updated July 1, 2024

Resources and Quick Links


Our staff can assist with lost or missing payments.

  • University payments are typically made by check, ACH or ePayables.
  • Wire transfers are used for some foreign suppliers but are rarely used for domestic payees.
  • For more information on making payments or payment methods, contact Procurement Services,, or Finance Delivery,

Check Reissues

Every effort should be made in advance to prevent check reissues. The reissue process costs extra time and money to complete.

  • Check cancellations and reissues are not processed until four weeks after the date of settlement. Contact our staff to to discuss extenuating circumstances.

Requesting Cancellations and Replacements

  • Complete cancellation form and submit in Workday. 
  • Double-check to confirm the payee address prior to submitting the request for reissue.
  • Allow 10 business days for processing.
  • Requests must be submitted in Workday. Email requests are not accepted.

Instructions and Forms

The Travel Information section contains updates and details about policies, receipts, transportation, lodging and meals.

Unclaimed property in Iowa refers to payments that are considered abandoned because their rightful owner has not claimed them for a specified timeframe, known as the "dormancy period." Common types of unclaimed property held by institutions like Iowa State University include uncashed checks for students, vendors, and payees as well as uncollected wages. Each state, including Iowa, has its own regulations regarding the length of dormancy periods for unclaimed property, typically ranging from one to five years. For instance, in Iowa, the dormancy period for unclaimed wages may be one year, after which they are deemed abandoned. Once the dormancy period elapses, the unclaimed property is transferred to the Iowa State Treasurer's office. Individuals seeking to reclaim such property must follow the appropriate procedures through the State Treasurer's office.

Iowa State University makes at least two attempts each year to contact property holders before the funds may, depending on eligibility, be turned over to the states for holding. If you have received a letter or have been contacted by phone or email about unclaimed payments, we want to help you claim your funds. Please complete the form below with the information provided to you either by the representative or by the unclaimed property letter to receive your funds.

Escheatment Form (PDF)

Financial and Accounting Compliance Staff

Financial and Accounting Compliance staff work remotely. For assistance, contact an individual staff member or the office (515-294-1940,

Dave Baker

Manager of Compliance and Accounting

Paritosh Dash

Accountant II

Ashley Johnson

Accountant I

Heather Peterson

Accountant III

Mindy Stensland

Associate Controller

Lory Young

Accountant III

Directory and Hours

Operating hours, locations and contact information for all offices in the Controller's Department.