Travel Information

Non-Worker Travel

Non-worker travel is generally subject to the same policies and procedures as worker travel, with the following exceptions.

Documentation Exceptions:

Most worker travel expenditures do not require a receipt if the expenditure is $75.00 or less. See the Summary of Allowable Travel Expenses for more information.

However, non-worker travel expenditures usually do require receipts, even if the expenditure is $75.00 or less.

Examples of non-worker travel expenditures that do not require receipts if $75.00 or less per transaction are:
  • airport shuttles
  • airport taxes (foreign travel)
  • baggage fees
  • cab/taxi fares
  • exit fees (foreign travel)
  • faxes
  • gasoline (in the rare situation where gasoline is claimed instead of mileage, the amount claimed for gasoline must be less than what mileage would have been, and receipts will be required if the gasoline is greater than $75.00 per transaction.
  • gratuities (tips)
  • internet charges
  • meals for an individual
  • mileage (receipts are never required)
  • parking
  • service fees for online travel agencies
  • tolls

Per transaction is in contrast to per reimbursement. For example, two individual cab/taxi fares of $50.00 would be greater than $75.00 per reimbursement, but not greater than $75.00 per transaction. Therefore, receipts would not be required.

Non-workers do not have access to T&H Cards, however if a worker charges expenses for a non-worker on their own T&H Card, receipts are still required.

Other Exceptions:
  • Non-workers were previously reimbursed on a Simple Disbursement Voucher, as they could not use the Employee Reimbursement System in AccessPlus. In Workday however, both workers and non-workers can use the Expenses Module for reimbursement. Non-worker information will need to be provided to the Procurement and Expense Specialist (PES) in your respective service team.
  • If there is a contract, both the services and the reimbursed expenses must be paid on the contract. Services and reimbursed expenses must be paid at the same time if possible. All costs passed through to subrecipients must be paid through the subaward.
  • Students can be reimbursed via the Expenses Module, however they need to be manually entered as "External Committee Member," for payment by the PES as they are considered non-workers.
  • Non-workers always qualify for the maximum mileage rate, as listed in the Summary of Allowable Travel Expenses.
  • International visitors may request being paid a flat meal amount per day on arrival, based on the allowable in-state and out-of-state per diems. Meal per diems are generally reimbursed after travel has concluded, so if prepayment in cash is requested, please contact Accounting for assistance.

Common Reimbursement Problems:
  • To avoid delays in reimbursement, please make it clear to your non-worker that original receipts are required, rather than faxes, copies, PDFs, or pictures of receipts.
  • Non-workers may be used to claiming a per diem for meals for domestic travel. Iowa State University adopted per diem based on GSA effective August 1, 2020, but in-state (Iowa) rates are not based on GSA rates. Per diem for all Iowa travel is set at $35 meals plus $5 incidentals, and no longer requires the actual expenditures for each meal to be itemized.
  • Non-workers who purchase their own air tickets need to be made aware that first class and business class fares are not allowable.
  • Non-workers who purchase their own air tickets cannot be reimbursed until the trip has been completed, and will not be reimbursed if the trip is cancelled.
  • Non-workers who purchase their own air tickets on federal funds need to be made aware that they must comply with the Fly America Act, which usually requires using a U.S. flag air carrier.

This page was last updated on July 28, 2020.