Travel Information

I do not have a registration receipt. How can I get reimbursed?

Registration receipts are required if the amount is $75.00 or more, although some conference sponsors neglect to provide them. This problem can be avoided for future conferences by prepaying the registration with an ISU T&H Card, a Purchasing Card (if available) or a Supplier Invoice. Please complete a Certificate of Missing Receipt form to satisfy the receipt requirement.

I have a traveler with a medical condition that requires extra legroom. Can he/she purchase a business or first class fare?

We recognize that some workers have medical conditions which require exceptions to the travel policy. Some conditions require the extra legroom or the ability to move about the cabin. When an employee indicates that they have a medical necessity that would require them to purchase a more expensive seat, we still need to pay for the most cost effective fare available. Generally these are business class seats.

If your traveler has a medical issue that would require a more expensive fare the following steps should be taken:

    1) First the traveler should obtain a doctor’s note indicating that a condition exists and whether it is chronic or temporary. Chronic conditions like diabetes or back injury are lifelong and in these cases the doctor can issue a note documenting that these are permanent conditions. A long leg cast for a broken leg might require a temporary exemption.

    NOTE: Because of HIPAA, the specific diagnosis or condition should never be stated on the doctor’s note. While the exemptions are kept in a secure file, this information is not necessary. The note merely needs to indicate that there is a legitimate medical issue.

    2) Once a form is received it should be forwarded to the Controller’s Department. Any medical information on the memo should be redacted.

    3) The Controller’s Department keeps forms for one year unless it is noted that the medical condition is chronic or permanent.

    4) If the form is still needed after a year, and the form is not indicated as chronic, the traveler must get a new dated form from his or her medical provider.

I have a traveler who requires a special diet. Is it possible to accommodate this even if it exceeds the meal limits?

If the traveler has a legitimate medical reason for a restricted diet, the same steps apply as they do for airfare. The doctor would want to note that the traveler has a medical restriction and depending on the type of limits might have trouble finding food within the daily allowable maximum limits. In most cases however, this should not be necessary. Many travelers find that low sodium, gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian meals are available in many destinations at reasonable prices. If the traveler is on a restricted diet that is a personal choice and there will not be exceptions granted.

This page was last updated on July 1, 2019.