Travel Information

Foreign travel is any travel outside the United States and the U. S. possessions and territories (American Samoa, Guam, Midway, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island).

Travel within the United States and the U.S. territories and possessions requires claiming of actual expenses subject to the out-of-state limits for meals, and is not eligible for claiming a per diem.

Except as specifically noted, the following guidelines on the links below apply to all foreign travel, regardless of the funding source or whether the traveler is an employee or non-employee. (Exception: the Ames Lab contract, 401-25-01, has different requirements. Contact the Ames Lab directly for questions on this account.)

Approval of the Provost and/or the Vice President for Business and Finance is not required for foreign travel.

Before traveling to a foreign country for the first time, the university recommends travelers visit the U.S. State Department: Bureau of Consular Affairs Web Site at This site contains a wealth of information for U.S. citizens who will be traveling abroad.

This page was last updated on December 18, 2014.